As a Designer by Trade and Artist at night, this is an area I have pondered on quite a bit in my youth and was useful for me to define the difference.
The design is something that is taught and is a lot to do what’s fashionable at the time. When a designer creates work, they are designed to sell services or products. Design work usually stems from the need or desire to communicate a pre-existing message: a strapline, a logo or a call to action.
“Art and design are completely different. Art is about making questions. The design is about making solutions.” – John Maeda
Art can be taught but doesn’t have to be, its created usually by someone that has learned their skill since childhood and is done for more personal reasons than making money. A work of art is the expression of a completely new idea. It’s the process of breathing life into something private and personal to create an emotional bond between the artist and their audience.
“Art for art’s sake is the usual English rendering of a French slogan from the early 19th century, “l’art pour l’art“, and expresses a philosophy that the intrinsic value of art, and the only “true” art, is divorced from any debate, moral, or practical function.
Such works are sometimes described as “autotelic”, from the Greek autotelic. “complete in itself”, a concept that has been expanded to embrace. “inner-directed” or “self-motivated” human beings.” – Wiki
Design vs Art
- To design is solving a problem. Art is raising a question.
- Design is conclusive. Art is an open debate.
- Being a Designer is being an actor and following a script. Art is writing and interpreting your own story.
- Designing is the mind of looking for solutions. Art is the voice of the soul.
- The design needs a collective acceptance. Art only requires inner approval.
- Designing is an act of empathy. Art is an act of freedom.
Please join my newsletter for regular rambles.