It’s a minefield when you decide you want a website and it can be tempting to pay for something easy like Wix. As they have template designs that you can quickly edit, and you can get something Live in a few hours.
So why would you go with the bother and doing a WordPress website alone or with someone like me?
After doing website design for twenty years, you realize when someone promises perfection and something quick and comfortable when it comes to technology – its too good to be true!
Heres why you shouldn’t, go with these companies, that offer a low monthly price and something live straight away.
1) Going with these companies that offer a low price on a monthly bases is just like going with catalogue companies that sell white goods and furniture. They target people who haven’t the money to pay for items in one lump sum. You will end up paying more than if had just done it yourself the ‘slightly’ more compilated way.
2) If you are after getting your website showing up on page 1 of Google. You will learn that SEO is essential, and the loading speed of your website also matters. Wix websites loading speed is terrible and will cause you issues with Google.
3) You will also find once your business is growing, you will want to scale up your website with new features. Wix websites won’t let you scale up and will become a problem.
4) Once you spend all the time getting all your content on a Wix website. You are trapped as there is no way of exporting your content (unlike WordPress). You also don’t own the files, as they’re kept, on their server. If you work with me, I set you up on a server that’s your account.
5) If you go with Wix and other companies. You will find you spend more time, more effort time and money to achieve the same thing you can with any self-owned website. WordPress will and does win all day long, so long as you know how to use it and how to make the most out of it and make it work for you.
6) Most people claim that Wix tools for SEO are limited. With WordPress, there are both free and premium plugins that can assist you with SEO efforts.
7) With Wix, you are limited to what their system allows you to do. You have much more flexibility with WordPress. WordPress wipes the floor with ranking in Google.
8) People are seduced by Wix short learning curve, but I reckon you will regret taking that route in the long run.
Hope this helps